Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cross Words

There are several meanings for the term "cross words."

4 There are cross words, as in angry or frustrated expressions. To the dog, "Get out of my way, you stupid mutt." Or to the driver (who incidentally cannot hear you) who zooms around you on the freeway entrance, "Are you nuts?" Or to the third-grader at your house, "I don't see why you can't tell me ahead of time that you need to bring an empty cereal box to your classroom this morning!"

4 Then there are cross words, as in crossword puzzles. I happen to be a fan of a certain cruciverbalist's creations. (And no, I didn't make up that word!)

4 And finally there are cross words as in the ones that are always "cross-wise," spoken contrarily to what someone else has said.

"It's really nice out today. I'm enjoying the sunshine."
Yes, but just wait. You can't rely on more than a day or so of decent weather in January.

"I hear the XYZ Company is hiring. I think I'll check it out."
Sure, go ahead. You know there are going to be sixty people applying for their two positions.

"I'm finally feeling better. I've had a hard time getting rid of this bronchitis."
Well, my sister-in-law went back to work too soon and ended up with pneumonia.

"Lou's in a good mood today."
Yeah, but it won't last. It's probably the calm before the storm.

"Did you see the game last night? It was really something!"
Well, that coach oughta be producing, as much as he's being paid.

These cross-words speakers would never use bad language. They might not even use angry or frustrated expressions like those mentioned above. They wouldn't criticize others or say things that put them down. They wouldn't brag on themselves or make favorable comparisons between their children or grandkids and yours. But they are just so negative!

Don't make room for gloom and doom! "Speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you'll all be together in this [life in Christ], no one left out, no one left behind. I know you're already doing this; just keep on doing it." (I Thessalonians 5:11 MSG) Aptly spoken words are lovely, a Bible proverb tells us, like apples of gold in frames of silver!

MaryMartha

Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 2003 by Eugene H. Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.


Art from http://www.sxc.hu/

No comments:

Post a Comment